Why Horsemanship through Leadership

My intention for this blog is to offer a resource I wish I had as I moved along my horsemanship journey. The clinics I attended were too far apart for the right sequential learning to happen, my horse and I were in a beautiful but isolated spot and I often felt unsure as to the progress we were making. The advice, the videos the examples demonstrated rarely seemed to reflect the problems I seemed to encounter with my horse.

In hindsight I realise what I faced with my horse stemmed from the same place and it was only through repetition and making the same mistake I started to recognise my horse was simply reflecting my own bad behaviours. Horsemanship is not extrinsic - it is not about the awards or the ribbons, it is about the internal journey we must make in order to become a better person, both with horses and those around us.

I'd be happy to chat with you if you are in need of additional support in your horsemanship journey.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

One step at a time

"if the milestone is too far away, look for a pebble inch." F.Heath

Inspiration comes from many directions, at least it does for me. I am always looking for the connections between ideas. Yesterday I learned that Aristotle believed an individual who had the capacity to perceive resemblances between two separate ideas (a metaphor) and link them together was a person with special gifts.

While I may have always naturally linked separate ideas I never considered it a special gift, but it is nice to believe someone else thinks that.

Working with a horse requires that you are constantly linking different ideas - looking for the one that will connect with the horse at that moment. While there are numerous skills required to start a colt, making the connections between your actions and their reactions is the most challenging as it requires that we can manage both our emotions and responses instantaneously. If a horse can react ten times faster than we can respond we're working at a bit of a disadvantage to start.

No matter which way you look at it working with a colt requires:
- skill
- knowledge
- timing & feel
- a good emotional balance point
- the ability to respond fairly under pressure
- the desire to offer the best solution for the colt

All of which take time - so constantly be on the look out for the inch pebble - or that in the moment result. The colt is only doing what he thinks needs to be done to save his life...... you're job is to convince him otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment